Become an Agent
- A salesperson must be assigned to (work for) a licensed broker or firm and cannot conduct business independently.
- You must be 18 years of age or older. (You may actually sit for the exam before you are 18, but you MUST be 18 before you make the application for a license, which must be within six months after you pass the exam.) An applicant is not ineligible because of citizenship, sex, race, religion, marital status, or national origin, although the application form may require citizenship information.
- You must not have had an application rejected for licensure in this or any other state within twelve months prior to the date of application, and whose real estate license has not been revoked in this or any other state within two years prior to the date of application.
After meeting these requirements, you must take the 60-hour Pre-License Weekend course.
Once you have completed the 60 hour Pre Licence Weekend, you must also complete the three (3), 12-hour classes offered either on weekdays or on weekends:
- 12 Hour Pre-License Listing Practices
- 12 Hour Pre-License Buying Practices
- 12 Hour Dev Prof and Ethical Practices
- 12 Hour Weekend Listing Practices
- 12 Hour Weekend Buying Practices
- 12 Hour Weekend Dev Prof and Ethical Practices
Along with these requirements, you must have a background check completed. Information on completing a background check can be found on the Iowa Association of Realtors® website.